SPUG: list filter html

John Costello cos at indeterminate.net
Tue Aug 16 09:58:44 PDT 2005

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Andrew Sweger wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, John Costello wrote:
> > Is that why some of the messages are showing all their HTML, or is that
> > just my reader?
>
> Attachment filtering and conversion is not enabled, yet. What you're
> seeing may be the result of a broken sending MUA or (the logical or) a
> misunderstanding receiving MUA. I haven't looked at it in detail other
> than to grumble at the spewage of MSHTML (I see it too).

Ah, ok.

> Since there have been zero objections to my proposal, I will start
> enabling the filters. In the past, any time I mess with the list's
> configuration, invariably Something Bad[tm] will happen. I'll make a
> separate announcement(s) about the changes.
>
> MUA = mail user agent (your email software, e.g., Pine)

Yep--I administered a mail server long enough that I should know that
acronym.  It'll be a sad day when I forget my mail knowledge. :^)

> > I dislike receiving attachments, period, on lists, and especially dislike
> > non-text attachments (which have been naughty worms--though not on this
> > list).
>
> I feel the same way. But there are some attachments that make sense, like
> PGP signatures.

Good point.  I had thought only of executables and the like, or the
occasional image.  Does PGP come through as binary (I'm guessing yes, but
don't remember).

> The fellas that run the mail server for Perl Mongers have quite a bit of
> spam and virus filtering in place. Plus, any message sent to the list from
> a non-subscriber is simply rejected.

Ah, that's good to know.

> --
> Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several
>                                 things can go wrong at once.

John
-----
John Costello - cos at indeterminate dot net