SPUG: Legal Perl

Andrew Sweger andrew at sweger.net
Tue Aug 9 17:42:49 PDT 2005

I've noticed that when I read legalese (contracts, licenses, etc.), I tend
to render them in pseudocode in my head. I wonder if anyone has ever tried
to use Perl (or any other programming language) to express a legal
document. The ability to use variables and data structures to represent
goods, services, entities, and events would give a way to logically codify
(heh heh) an agreement. Nevermind the slough of problems with programs
that are hard to implement or design documents that under specify the
requirements, etc. I think it would be funny (ha ha) to write a contract
this way, just for fun I guess. I wonder how a lawyer would respond if
presented with one of these.

--
Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several
                                things can go wrong at once.