SPUG: Chip Salzenberg Defense Fund

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Thu Aug 4 11:03:16 PDT 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Ken Meyer wrote:

> Thanks, Bill.  I sort of got the drift of that, but the question remains in
> my mind: what are these "dubious practices".  Scraping what?  Can it be

[snip]

> Use a computer exclusively for the remote access to work sites and not for
> any personal use?  Don't load necessary software to access your work on the
> personal-use computers on your network, so you can prove that it/they
> weren't connected to the company net?  Make the company prove what MAC
> addresses connected to their net -- well MAC's aren't immutable any more?
> Any ideas?  How do privacy protections apply here?

The point seems to be that once Chip had run afoul of his bosses they were
able to get *every* *single* *machine* at his home address impounded by
the police using some basic request to a judge without anything much to
back it up. I can't check the exact details, geeksunite.net seems to be
down but iirc they took everything including machines not actually
belonging to him based on some flimsy pretext. Chip has no comeback, it
would appear, and is trying to warn others that this may happen to them if
they are a tele-worker.

When the site is back I should be able to point to a better explanation !

S.