SPUG: Meeting Announcement -- Practical mod_perl 2 - 8 August 2005

Andrew Sweger andrew at seattleperl.org
Thu Aug 4 10:38:57 PDT 2005

Location confirmed. Thanks to Ali, again, for hosting us at Amazon.com

    PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO R.S.V.P. (see below)
    People have paid billions of dollars to see this presentation. Don't
    miss this golden opportunity.

    N.B.: THIS COMING MONEY, NEXT WEEK

        / / / / / / / /   S P E C I A L   / / / / / / / / /

        August 2005 Seattle Perl Users Group (SPUG) Meeting

       Title: Practical mod_perl 2
     Speaker: Stas Bekman

Meeting Date: Monday, 8 August 2005
Meeting Time: 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. (networking 6:30 - 7:00)
    Location: Amazon.com Pac-Med Building

        Cost: Admission is free and open to the general public
        Info: http://seattleperl.org/

N.B.: This meeting will occur on MONDAY, the eighth (08) of August.
Location to be determined (almost done).

I just got to Portland and bumped into Stas. He's looking forward to see
y'all. He'll be arriving in Seattle on Saturday morning. This is your
chance to hang out with the mod_perl man and show him around Seattle this
weekend. If you're interested, take up the banner and start a discussion
on the list here. You lead the way. Don't be shy.

If you'd like to prepare yourself for the presentation (tutorial, really),
get the following documents:

    - http://stason.org/tmp/mod_perl-2.0-tutorial-handouts.pdf.gz
    - http://stason.org/tmp/mod_perl-2.0-tutorial-slides.pdf.gz

See below for more information on...

    - Agenda
    - Speaker Background
    - Presentation Description
    - RSVP
    - Pre-meeting Dinner
    - Internet Access at Meeting (WiFi!)
    - PGP/GnuPG Key Exchange
    - Directions to Meeting
    - Directions from Meeting

Agenda
======

    7:00 - Meeting begins
           Announcements
    7:05 - Presentation: Practical mod_perl 2
    8:00 - Break
    8:10 - Presentation (cont.) & Questions
    9:00 - Adjourn

Speaker Background
==================

Stas Bekman is an open source developer, spending most of his time working
on the ASF mod_perl project. He is an ASF member, online columnist, and a
co-author of Practical mod_perl, published by O'Reilly Media, Inc.

Presentation Description
========================

mod_perl 2.0 supports all the mod_perl 1.0 features and brings a whole lot
of new functionality such as protocol and filter handlers, improved
configuration access, threads support, and much more. This tutorial will
get you up to speed with the new features, in addition to reviewing the
old ones.

Topics to be covered:

    - Getting Your Feet Wet
    - A quick introduction to mod_perl 2.0
    - Protocol handlers
    - HTTP request handlers
    - Migrating from mod_perl 1.0 to 2.0

RSVP
====

Please send email to rsvp-august-2005-special at seattleperl.org if there's a
50% chance or better that you will show up at the meeting. We need this
information to let building security know how many guest badges to prepare
(they are dated for the event). Wow, email. Now that's hi-tech!

Pre-meeting Dinner

Internet Access at Meeting
==========================

A link to the Internet will be provided at the meeting (provided you have
suitable equipment). Tables, power strips, and Ethernet hubs will be
available in limited quantity. 802.11g WiFi will be available. Please use
the SSID: SPUG. The beacon will be broadcasting. No WEP/WPA. Please note
that the provided network services are _not_ secure. As I'm sure most of
you know, it is a trivial matter to "sniff" network traffic. Please use a
secure application encryption protocol or other secure VPN solution to
protect sensitive information. Use of the the provided network services is
at your own risk. Be a good network citizen. The network services are
provided gratis by our hosts. Access can be revoked at any time without
prior notification.

PGP/GnuPG Key Exchange
======================

If you want to exchange PGP/GnuPG signatures, please contact me directly
with your public key (now!) and I'll bring fingerprint checklists for
participants. Contact me if you want to know more. Oh, and you have to
show up at the meeting to exchange ID's and all that, please. Otherwise
this whole key exchange thing doesn't work.

Directions to Meeting
=====================

Our meeting will take place at the Amazon.com headquarters at 1200 12th
Ave S, Seattle, Washington.

Please let me know if you find errors or a better route. Thanks.

I-5 (from North or South)
-------------------------

On I-5, take the S Dearborn St exit and turn West on Dearborn (I-5
Southbound: turn right; I-5 Northbound: turn left) and proceed
approximately one or two blocks.

Turn right on 8th Ave S (the first light) and proceed North for three
blocks.

Turn right on S King St and proceed East for approximately five
blocks. You will pass under I-5.

Turn right on 12th Ave S and proceed South for approximately five blocks.
Along this way, you will cross over the Dr. Jose P. Rizal bridge and you
should see the Pac-Med tower directly ahead.

At this point, notice that you have been going in a circle.

Skip to Pac-Med Building below.

I-90 (from East)
----------------

On I-90, take the Rainier Ave S (hwy 900) exit Northbound and proceed
approximately six blocks.

Turn left on S King St and proceed West for approximately two blocks.

Turn left on 12th Ave S and proceed South for approximately five blocks.
Along this way, you will cross over the Dr. Jose P. Rizal bridge and you
should see the Pac-Med tower directly ahead.

Pac-Med Building
----------------

Turn right at Charles St (the light after the bridge). The Amazon.com
Pac-Med building is visible ahead and on the left as you make the turn and
proceed South on Charles (Charles borders the West side of the
building).

The North parking lot entrance will be the second drive way on the left
(the first has a Do Not Enter sign). The parking lot is on the left just
past the parking attendant booth. The "carpool only" spaces should be okay
to park in after 6:30.

Walk to the South entrance of the tower. There is stair next to the
parking garage structure that leads to a convenient path that goes around
the building to the main entrance on the South side of the building.

Enter building and go to the security desk. Sign in and wait to be
escorted to the meeting room (just like when we met at Safeco in the
U-district, more or less).

Google Maps:

  http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1200%2012th%20ave%20s%2C%20seattle%2C%20wa&spn=0.017365%2C0.032945

Directions from Meeting
=======================

Getting Back Onto I-5 Southbound
--------------------------------

Although there is an I-5 northbound exit at S Dearborn St, there is no
entrance back onto southbound I-5 at Dearborn. So don't bother trying to
simply go back the same way you came.

Exit the Pac-Med parking lot on the East side of building (this is Golf Dr
S) and turn right. Bear left onto 15th Ave S (the right fork is 14th Ave
S. Proceed approximately 1.5 miles. Turn right on S Spokane St and go down
steep hill. Turn right at light and follow signs to I-5 southbound.

If you exit the Pac-Med parking lot on the West side of the building, turn
right on 12th Ave S and then right again on Golf Dr S (the light is the
one at the South end of the Dr. Jose P. Rizal bridge). Continue as above.

Technically, there's another way onto I-5 SB, but it involves some other
crazy route that I'm not going to provide here.