SPUG: Chip Salzenberg Defense Fund

jerry gay jerry.gay at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 09:56:33 PDT 2005

in a few words: chip found out his employer was doing immoral and
possibly illegal things. he threatened suit. they fired him and sued
him on a made up charge. his home computer equipment was seized by the
police, turned over to his former employer, and his disks were imaged,
all illegally. he's since recovered his possessions (i believe,) but
the damage has been done, and he's left with legal fees.

the seizure of his possessions has broad legal ramifications which may
affect any telecommuter. chip is a friend of mine, and while this
situation is a terrible event for him and his family, and is harmful
to the perl community due to the fact that this is delaying his work
in the position of Chief Architect of Parrot (the virtual machine
destined to run Perl 6,) the broader legal issue is the primary reason
for geeks to pay close attention to this case.

~jerry