SPUG: Dying Children

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes sthoenna at efn.org
Mon Sep 20 20:07:12 CDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 12:47:18PM -0700, Dan Ebert <mathin at mathin.com> wrote:
> You can get around this by calling POSIX::_exit(0).  (I know you are not
> supposed to use &_ sub routines from a module :), but this was suggested
> by the Camel book as a way of avoiding the execution of END blocks, so
> what the hell.)  It bypasses the destructor processing (and END blocks).

In this case, the _ doesn't indicate a module-private sub, it indicates that
it calls the C _exit function:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/_exit.html

The main concern is that file buffers may not be flushed.

I'm curious to know more about the situation you have; are you using glibc?
If so, what version?  Are these things being freed objects?  Referred to
by objects?