SPUG: Dying Children

Dan Ebert mathin at mathin.com
Mon Sep 20 10:56:33 CDT 2004

I have a script which forks of a child process to write a file while the
parent script goes on to collect the data for the next file.  I'm keeping
track of the number of file writing children so I don't have too many
writers at one time.  I have a debug print statement right before the
exit in the child process:

print "done writing file\n";
exit;

I am noticing that there are sometimes several seconds between the print
and the actual death of the child.  This is delaying the forking of the
next child which is slowing the script down.  Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,

Dan.