SPUG: interesting while() behavior and hosting recs

Joel Grow joel at largest.org
Fri Oct 1 14:04:12 CDT 2004

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Tim Maher wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 08:25:02AM -0700, DeRykus, Charles E wrote:
> >
> > But, as we've seen Joel's post, the effects of a "list in
> > scalar context" in a different may altogether different and
> > unexpected... ie, while () ... gets parsed as for (;;).
> > Charles DeRykus
>
> I've been skimming this thread, but having trouble with a fundamental
> element of the discussion.
>
> Specifically, what qualifies
>
> 	while () { statement; }
>
> as having /anything/ to do with the conceptually understandable (albeit
> technically non-existent) "list in scalar context"?

Good point, it has nothing to do with "list in a scalar context".
while() of course just checks the conditional in parens for truth, and the
parens are syntax, not a list.  The reason I brought empty list into the
discussion is that I was burned once a year or two ago with an empty list
issue, where it didn't behave as I expected.  I think it was with a regex
match, but unfortunately I can't remember exactly what the situation was.
:-)  I wanted to point it out just as a debugging thing I tried.

John pointed out:

 That is working for the same reason that

 for ( ;; ) { ... }

 works in Perl as well as in C where Perl inherited it from.

I guess that's a good enough explanation, but it still seems to me like

 while () {
 }

should intuitively evaluate to false.  I'll get over it.  Or at least
memorize it.

Btw, if you really want to use while() without the parens, you could do:

 do {
    print "hello world\n";
 } while $x++ < 3;

# not to my tastes, but tmtowtdi...