SPUG: attendance at meeting

Andrew Sweger andrew at sweger.net
Mon Nov 29 11:43:05 CST 2004

Our last meeting had 28 folks show up. With the normal room configuration,
we can accommodate maybe another 15 or 20 people (I forget the rated
capacity of the room). Considering that Randal will be speaking at our
next meeting, it's fair to guess that we'll probably have a pretty good
turnout at this pre-holiday meeting (who's to say). Our group's policy has
always been that meetings are open and free to the public. But we have to
consider our very generous hosts too. A sudden surge in attendance has two
impacts on the nice folks at Amazon.com: 1) security has to prepare,
beforehand, special visitor badges for each attendee, and 2) the room
might need to be reconfigured to accommodate a larger number of visitors.
I know it's hard for several folks to predict whether they will be making
it to the meeting (all sorts of things come up). So I propose an
experiment that I think will help make sure we not caught totally off
guard at next month's meeting:

If you personally feel that you have a 50% or better chance of showing up
at the meeting, please RSVP. Toward that end, I have setup a Perl
Meetup.com group,

  http://perl.meetup.com/86/

Please consider signing up and joining the SPUG meetup.com group. Through
the website, you may manage your RSVP for the meeting and request
automatic reminders be emailed to you personally. If that won't work for
you, you may email me directly and I will try to keep tract of the

Thanks for helping make SPUG a success.

--
Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several
                                things can go wrong at once.