SPUG: CPAN install from CD (i.e. without internet)

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Tue Nov 23 17:51:29 CST 2004

As I'm setting up a Perl course, I'd like to carry some CPAN modules
in my briefcase into the classroom or customer site.  Specifically,
I'd like to make sure that I can install DBI and DBM::mysql *without*
an internet connection.  (Oh, the horror!!! Yes, even though my hotel
and all Starbucks *are* connected, there are still customers (or at
least training rooms) that are *not*!)

I'm used to doing this with an internet connection:
   perl -MCPAN -e shell
   > install DBI
   > install DBD::mysql
   > quit

I especially like that this solution recursively installs needed
dependencies, an interation that frustrates me when I do it the manual
way (download, unzip, perl Makefile.PL, make, make test, make install).

It's so trivally easy to do with an Internet connection that I don't
have an idea on how to pre-package (would that be a bundle?) them and
stage them on a CD or how to extract them once they're so bundled.  Is
there a "standard" way to do so?  Does it get *all* recursive
dependencies?  If so, please point me there so that I can read the
fine manual myself.  If not, how have you gotten around this
non-standard piece.

I'd like this to work on all OS's, so ppm and ppm3 aren't as useful to
me as a truly portable solution would be.

Thanks,
Michael Wolf

P.S.  Sorry to have missed the last 3 SPUG meetings.  As fate would
have it I've been out of town teaching Perl classes.  Fortunately, the
next Perl course does *not* collide, so I look forward to seeing you
all face-to-face in December.

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!