SPUG: Last night's meeting

Itay Furman itayf at fhcrc.org
Wed Mar 17 16:21:34 CST 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Michael R. Wolf wrote:

> David Dyck <david.dyck at fluke.com> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 at 10:22 -0800, Tim Maher <tim at consultix-inc.com> wrote:
> >
> >> AFAIK, there's no way to preserve the activities of an
> >> interactive debugging session, and replay them at a future time.
> >
> > It would be nice to have "sticky" breakpoints!
>
> Yes!!! I don't like having to re-set my breakpoints on every edit
> cycle. The 'R' (Attempt a restart) command can be helpful in many of
> these cases. Just use 'b sub_name' instead of 'b line_number'
> whereever you can.
>
> Michael
>
> P.S. Actually, *I* don't have to do that all the time since I use
> *emacs* to run the dugger. I get to edit and debug without usually
> leaving the debugger. The active debugger session remembers all my
> 'b sub_name' list. The 'b line_number' stuff is very likely to change
> within a file I'm editing, but is still OK in unchanged files.

This is for those that don't know emacs:

Since the debugger window, in which you interact with the
debugger, is a buffer -- just like other buffers that are used to
edit real files -- you can treat it _as_ a file in terms of
editing; namely, you can

* save it to the disk for future reference (what complex breaks
you used; dumping commands, etc)
* edit it (adding comments, deleting uninteresting parts of the
session, etc.); this can be done _during_ the debugging session

Also, you could start more than one debugging session for the
_same_ debugged file. (Didn't test how far you could go with this
-- but seen that you could step in one session independently of
the other session, for example)

	Itay