SPUG: Re: New changes

Jonathan Gardner jgardner at jonathangardner.net
Wed Jun 9 16:16:28 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 02:01 pm, Jeff Almeida wrote:
> Also Sprach Aaron W. West:
> >Attachment saved to disk... CA's free-for-a-year antivirus says:
> Wasn't really me (I don't even run Windows).  Now I'm being
> spoofed by cable modems in Romania?  Love those headers....

Since spam comprises something like 80% of all email, and since roughly 80%
of all spam comes from compromised Windows machines, 64% of all email is
spam coming from compromised Windows machines.

> One of these days we'll actually SPF or one of its cousins implemented as
> a standard and all of this sort of nonsense will stop.

SPF is well on its way to being implemented full-scale. We have 19,000
publishers as of right now. Growth appears to be logarithmic. There has
been a huge increase of the rate as of a week or so ago. I believe SPF has
finally reached critical mass. The explosion of SPF adoption is happening
right now.

AOL has already said that if you want to be on their whitelist, you have to
publish by end of summer. I think AOL has a significant voice in this
matter as a great percentage of all email flows to or from their accounts.

The SPF community is debating whether or not to join with AOL and encourage
SPF adopters to do the same.

See http://spf.pobox.com/ for more details.

Have you published your SPF records yet? If not, why not?

Jonathan Gardner
jgardner at jonathangardner.net