SPUG: refs to substrings contain lvalues

Aaron W. West tallpeak at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 31 10:41:45 CDT 2004

oops, I did a copy-and-paste thing...adding to my code and output in the
email instead of copying it all over again.

I'd be inclined to let someone more concerned about it than I submit a
perlbug. It's in Data::Dumper, and that's not core perl, is it?

As you can see this does not cause the program to die:

$ perl -le '$x="stargazing";
print $y;
print $x;
print $$y;
use Data::Dumper;
print Dumper($y); print "done"'

cannot handle ref type 9 at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.4/cygwin/Data/Dumper.pm
line 158.
$VAR1 = ;

Okay, I reported a bug to Data::Dumper, classified as "unimportant".

Ticket 7190 created in queue 'Data-Dumper'.