SPUG: Meeting followup

Andrew Sweger andrew at sweger.net
Wed Jul 21 01:28:13 CDT 2004

We had a decent turnout at tonight's meeting (approximately 23 people).
Some information you may be interested in:

A) Great presentation by Autrijus Tang on PAR, The Perl Archive Toolkit

  http://par.perl.org/  (has slides, source, goodies, and other material)

B) SPUG domain names (seattleperl.{org,net,com})

  I just want to let everyone know that it is thanks to the generosity of
  John Cokos of iWeb Technology[1] that we even have this domain name. He
  has been managing and funding the registration fees for these domains
  for several years. A big huge Thank You to John. I have just recently
  accepted management of these domains.

C) New SPUG website

  Thanks to an offer from Bill Campbell, we're working on rolling out a
  new SPUG web site using the Zope/Plone content management system. No
  details at the moment. If you're interested in helping fill in the
  content on the new site, please contact me off list and let me know what
  you have to offer.

D) Auction Results

  Several books were auctioned at tonight's meeting to benefit The Perl
  Foundation[2]. A copy of the Perl Medic: Transforming Legacy Code by
  Peter Scott[3] (and recently reviewed by Michael Wolf[4]) was awarded to
  (drum roll...) Michael Wolf (Michael Wolf was also the auction caller!)
  for US$35.00. A copy of the Perl Debugger Pocket Reference by Richard
  Folley[5] was awarded to Joe Slagel for US$7.50.

E) Refreshments

  As in the past several meetings, refreshments were provided gratis
  thanks to Joe Slagel. Thanks, Joe!

F) Mistakes

  Oops. We got the Internet connection right this month, but the projector
  walked off with some Geospiza sales people away on business. Thanks to
  Tim Maher[6], who will be taking the gold medal in the 200m sprint at
  the next summer Olympics, we did manage to have a big screen projection
  for the bulk of Autrijus' presentation. Thanks, Tim! I also forgot I
  said there would be a PGP/GPG key-signing event at the meeting and it
  never happened. No one complained (that was there), so I won't mention
  it. We'll get it all right someday (and that's soon enough for me).

G) August 2004 SPUG Meeting

  Looks like we have at least a couple speakers in the works for August.
  More details as they become available. I'm also working on filling
  September. But if you ACT NOW, I can get you a time slot in the upcoming
  October meeting. PICK UP THE PHONE NOW!

Thanks to everyone who showed up. It was a great meeting.

[1] - http://www.iwebtechnology.com/ - they sell PHP and CGI software
[2] - http://perlfoundation.org/
[3] - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201795264/qid=1090389349/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/104-5540643-0021535
[4] - http://www.pm.org/pipermail/spug-list/2004-July/001810.html
[5] - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596005032/qid=1090389538/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/104-5540643-0021535
[6] - http://teachmeperl.com/

--
Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several
                                things can go wrong at once.