SPUG: Perl Medic "Transforming Legacy Code" by Peter Scott -- book review

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.com
Tue Jul 20 19:44:00 CDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004, Tim Maher wrote:

>> The only perl-specific must-read I can think of is Damian Conway's ``Object
>> Oriented Perl''.
>>
>> Bill
>
>I'd agree that the first 3 chapters are a must-read, if only
>because they provide the most lucid and succinct summary of the
>basics of the language you'll find anywhere. But the rest of
>the book is most relevant to OO programmers who roll their own
>code, and there are lots of JAPHs who rarely need to venture
>that far away from the good-old procedural side of Perl to get
>their jobs done.

I got this book after using perl as my primary language for over
a decade, and still learned a lot from those first chapters which
is why I highly recommend it to anybody who's using perl.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

Once at a social gathering, Gladstone said to Disraeli, ``I predict,
Sir, that you will die either by hanging or of some vile disease''.
Disraeli replied, "That all depends upon whether I embrace your
principles or your mistress".