SPUG: Meeting REMINDER -- Randal Schwartz - 21 December 2004

Andrew Sweger andrew at sweger.net
Tue Dec 21 11:23:32 CST 2004

For those that missed C.J.'s reminders, here's your last for tonight
(yeah, sorry. kinda last minute). New information below about RSVP's,
pre-meeting dinner, and The First SPUG Meeting of 2005.

             December Seattle Perl Users Group (SPUG) Meeting

       Title: Perl: Past, Present, and Future
     Speaker: Randal Schwartz

Meeting Date: Tuesday, December 21, 2004
Meeting Time: 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. (networking 6:30 - 7:00)
    Location: Amazon.com Pac-Med Building

        Cost: Admission is free and open to the general public
        Info: http://seattleperl.org/

Randal Schwartz has offered to to share this presentation with us this
month.

RSVP
----

If you've signed up and RSVP'd on Meetup.com, great. If you emailed me,
great. If you emailed C.J., great. If you haven't done any of that, great.
Just show up. But it would be really nice if you took a couple minutes to
sign-up on Meetup.com and indicate if you'll be attending. It's not
required, but it is immensely helpful to planning and makes things move
slicker 'an grass through a goose.

If you personally feel that you have a 50% or better chance of showing up
at the meeting, please RSVP. Toward that end, I have setup a Perl
Meetup.com group,

  http://perl.meetup.com/86/

Please consider signing up and joining the SPUG meetup.com group. Through
the website, you may manage your RSVP for the meeting and request
automatic reminders be emailed to you personally.

Dinner
------

I'll be catching dinner before the meeting at 5:00 at my favorite
restaurant, Hing Loon, located at 6th and Weller in the International
District (aka Chinatown). Please join me for some of the best Chinese
cuisine has to offer. It's just under a mile away from the Amazon.com
office just across the Dr. Jose P. Rizal bridge. Go ahead and email me by
3:00 today if you're pretty sure you'll make it. But don't let that stop
you from showing up (seats are easy to find there). If Randal has time and
the appetite, he'll probably be there too.

  Hing Loon
  628 S Weller St
  (206) 682-2828 (restaurant phone)

  Map:        http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt=Typ&tuid=10488074&ck=1891460389&tab=B2C&tcat=8903827&city=Seattle&state=WA&zip=98133-7119&uzip=98133&country=us&msa=7600&cs=9&ed=lRzNlK160SzczSFU3T4PJw1VLUcmpFrkhEW2BVlEha_U7d8JRroNqEidMfosvNoffKFxYWVrtx_pFhe9&stat=:pos:0:regular:regT:1:fbT:0
  Directions: http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?&csz=Seattle+WA+98144-2734&ed=eDa4Ta1v1CzpCVR5I.7MyDZZK2yI_u1ht88ytyVmbn8PqOVvDGy_oOZ.Lj8OJz7mPZ548iB0Tsrykohbw5Q5UPsCkaOh1Sz2we4_XcWwyUYagxkSEvfkAymijPcfZBrnd8o5skK66fFNsi62cOZCvWh_cw--&country=us&tcsz=Seattle+WA+98104&tcountry=us&tcs=9&tname=Hing+Loon+Seafood+Restaurant&tdesc=(206)+682-2828

If you want to exchange PGP/GnuPG signatures, please contact me directly
with your public key (now!) and I'll bring fingerprint checklists for
participants. Contact me if you want to know more. Oh, and you have to
show up at the meeting to exchange ID's and all that, please. Otherwise
this whole key exchange thing doesn't work.

The First SPUG Meeting of 2005
------------------------------

          January 2005 Seattle Perl Users Group (SPUG) Meeting

       Title: You tell me
     Speaker: YOU!

Meeting Date: Tuesday, January 18, 2005
Meeting Time: 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. (networking 6:30 - 7:00)
    Location: Amazon.com Pac-Med Building

        Cost: Admission is free and open to the general public
        Info: http://seattleperl.org/

Seriously, folks. C.J.'s been doing all the real work for this group,
finding fabulous presenters for the last several months of 2004. SPUG is
first and foremost by and for Perl users. Don't you think it's about time
that you stepped up and shared some of what you've learned? The best way
to create new and better Perl programmers is to share what we've learned
to others. Through our knowledge and excitement for this language, we can
help it live and grow. It is incredibly easy to make a SPUG presentation.
It doesn't even require much skill (even I've done it a few times!). The
first step is to send me an email. Tell me you want to give it a shot.
Once I get you scheduled, the rest just falls into place (nothing like a
deadline to get the creative juices flowing). So what do you say, SPUGger?

Presentation Details for December 2004
======================================

Here's what's in store for you at tonight's meeting:

About Randal Schwartz
---------------------

Randal L. Schwartz is a two-decade veteran of the software industry --
skilled in software design, system administration, security, technical
writing, and training. He has coauthored the "must-have" standards:
Programming Perl, Learning Perl, Learning Perl for Win32 Systems, and
Effective Perl Programming, as well as writing regular columns for
WebTechniques, PerformanceComputing, SysAdmin, and Linux magazines. He's
also a frequent contributor to the Perl newsgroups and the "Perl
Monastery" community (perlmonks.org), and has moderated
comp.lang.perl.announce since its inception. His offbeat humor and
technical mastery have reached legendary proportions worldwide (but he
probably started some of those legends himself). Randal's desire to give
back to the Perl community inspired him to help create and provide initial
funding for The Perl Institute. He is also a founding board member of the
Perl Mongers (perl.org), the worldwide Perl grassroots advocacy
organization. Since 1985, Randal has owned and operated Stonehenge
Consulting Services, Inc.

Since 1992, Randal has been developing Perl courseware and providing
training to Fortune 500 companies across the United States, and training
other trainers to do likewise.

About the Presentation
----------------------

Randal will give his "Perl: Past, Present, and Future" presentation.

DIRECTIONS
==========

These directions are relatively usable. I (or someone) will try to refine
these over time with experience.

I-5 (from North or South)
=========================

On I-5, take the S Dearborn St exit and turn West on Dearborn (I-5
Southbound: turn right; I-5 Northbound: turn left) and proceed
approximately one or two blocks.

Turn right on 8th Ave S (the first light) and proceed North for three
blocks.

Turn right on S King St and proceed East for approximately five
blocks. You will pass under I-5.

Turn right on 12th Ave S and proceed South for approximately five blocks.
Along this way, you will cross over the Dr. Jose P. Rizal bridge and you
should see the Pac-Med tower directly ahead.

At this point, notice that you have been going in a circle.

Skip to Pac-Med Building below.

I-90 (from East)
================

On I-90, take the Rainier Ave S (hwy 900) exit Northbound and proceed
approximately six blocks.

Turn left on S King St and proceed West for approximately two blocks.

Turn left on 12th Ave S and proceed South for approximately five blocks.
Along this way, you will cross over the Dr. Jose P. Rizal bridge and you
should see the Pac-Med tower directly ahead.

Pac-Med Building
================

Turn right at Charles St (the light after the bridge). The Amazon.com
Pac-Med building is visible ahead and on the left as you make the turn and
proceed South on Charles (Charles borders the West side of the
building).

The North parking lot entrance will be the second drive way on the left
(the first has a Do Not Enter sign). The parking lot is on the left just
past the parking attendant booth. The "carpool only" spaces should be okay
to park in after 6:30.

Walk to the South entrance of the tower. There is stair next to the
parking garage structure that leads to a convenient path that goes around
the building to the main entrance on the South side of the building.

Enter building and go to the security desk. Sign in and wait to be
escorted to the meeting room (just like when we met at Safeco in the
U-district, more or less).

Yahoo! Maps:

  http://us.rd.yahoo.com/maps//maps/extmap/*-http://maps.yahoo.com//maps_result?csz=Seattle%2C+WA+98144-2712&state=WA&uzip=98144&ds=n&name=&desc=&ed=uVHuJep_0TqNClJbk4iFOtDnYtddbn81hKmaNuXswR2pUy1qXnoKfGK_rtqkypGYq5f_zb5ghVDwhYc8gzs3td4sOl73q3BVDyr7btbB3VI4IrVR&zoomin=yes&BFKey=&mag=9

MapQuest:

  http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=address&searchtype=address&address=1200+12th+ave+s&city=&state=&zipcode=98144&search=++Search++