SPUG: mod_perl hosting - who are you using?

James Moore james at banshee.com
Tue Dec 7 15:03:33 CST 2004

I've got a client who's going to need mod_perl hosting for a website.  I've
used RackSpace in the past, but it appears they're out of the business of
selling bare machines on a monthly basis.  Suggestions for other providers?
Looks like ServerBeach took over the RackSpace bare machine business - any
experience with them?

I've hosted small clients from servers in my basement on a DSL line, but
this client is a little more sensitive to downtime and I'd rather not do
that for them.

I'm assuming there's no such thing as a shared mod_perl host, although it
seems like you could do such a thing (run a reverse proxy in front of
several non-shared Apache servers running on different ports).
Correct/incorrect?

I suppose another possibility is to just rent space in a rack somewhere here
in town.  Anyone interested in splitting a rack, or has a shared rack with
some open space?

 - James