SPUG: Ftp-free CPAN::shell usage?

Tim Maher tim at consultix-inc.com
Thu Apr 8 14:01:52 CDT 2004

A student in today's class is wondering if it's possible to use CPAN or CPANPLUS
from behind firewalls that don't allow FTP traffic. I know that curl and lynx can
be used to download the indices, but I don't know if any non-FTP protocols like
these are usable for downloading the actual modules.  What's the story?

| Tim Maher, CEO     (206) 781-UNIX      (866) DOC-PERL     (866) DOC-UNIX |
| tim(AT)Consultix-Inc.Com  http://TeachMePerl.Com  http://TeachMeUnix.Com |
|  Classes: Perl Prog. plus Perl Modules, 4/5-4/8 ;  Template Toolkit: TBA |
| Watch for my upcoming book: "Minimal Perl for Shell Users & Programmers" |