SPUG: Login Page and Cookies

Ben Reser ben at reser.org
Fri Oct 24 11:40:17 CDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 02:11:56AM -0700, Sam Carpenter wrote:
> On Friday, October 24, 2003, at 01:42 AM, Ben Reser wrote:
> >If you need further information just ask.  It's late so I'm probably
> >not
> >making as much sense as I should nor am I providing code examples...
>
> Ben, you make perfect sense - I really appreciate your help!  I just
> need to figure out how to generate the md5 hash and I will be all set
> (something I am sure I can find on perldoc or CPAN).

use Digest::MD5 qw(md5_base64);
md5_base64($data);

> >Actually it's easier.  It's provided to you in the REMOTE_USER
> >environment variable by the webserver.
>
> This might be a way to go as well.

Yeah probably is.  It's what I usually use.  In this particular project
I used the cookie thing on the user had to enter 3 values not just 2, so
it wasn't possible to do that easily with simple authentication.

--
Ben Reser <ben at reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken