SPUG: Login Page and Cookies

Sam Carpenter samca at closehauled.com
Fri Oct 24 02:26:40 CDT 2003

I am just getting started with Perl (switching from Java and .NET) and
I have a project where I want to create a login page instead of using
.htaccess.  I have the book, "Writing CGI Applications with Perl" by
Kevin Meltzer and Brent Michalski.  The authors have an example
application (chapter 14) where they create a login page and use the CGI
module to set and verify cookies to verify whether a user is logged in
or not.  Is this an acceptable way to manage user logins?

For clarification, I am just writing a simple quoting application for a
customer with less than 10 users.  Therefore the security doesn't need
to be bullet-proof but it should be somewhat trustworthy.  I am not
going with .htaccess for aesthetic reasons and a custom login page
gives me easy access to the user id (assuming that getting through
.htaccess would be difficult?).

Thanks,

Sam Carpenter
Closehauled Solutions, LLC