SPUG: html->pdf conversion?

Alan alan at ufies.org
Tue Oct 21 18:35:17 CDT 2003

Hey folks.  I'm working on a project that will attempt to convert HTML
to PDF.

I found I can do this with html2ps and ps2pdf, and it works fine until
you want fonts that aren't the standard serif and sans-serif.  Being
that my contract is with designer-type folks, this is important.  The
html2ps program will let you convert fonts other than the default ones,
but they have to be in pfa format.  After a bit of searching I found
ttf2pfa, which works, but the results are, in a word, "sucky" :)  They
appear to be very low res and very block.  The project doesn't look
like much has happened with it since 1997 or so anyway.  My clients
aren't looking for anything extraordinary in the font front, just the
standard windows fonts even (verdana, serif, helvetica, etc).

Does anyone know of a different way to do this?  Either a better way to
do the conversion from html->pdf (saving the page size (a7, letter, etc)
information preferrably) or a better way to embed trutype fonts into a
postscript file.

I know it's a bit off topic, but the list has been a bit dead lately and
I wanted to stir things up a bit :)

--
Alan <alan at ufies.org> - http://arcterex.net