SPUG:DB two-way synchronization

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRunningWolf at att.net
Thu May 15 17:50:00 CDT 2003

I have two sources of contact data (name, phone, email, etc), let's
call them A and B.  There's no clear "source", since updates can occur
in either place.  I'd like to do a bi-directional sync.

Is there a DBI module or algorithm that would allow this? If not, do
you know of a pointer to an algorithm for doing this? (Did Edsger
Dijkstra tackle such problems?)

It's the same problem as a PDA sync'ing to a PC for calendar, note,
email, or contact information. I know it's not an easy theoretical
algorithm, but at least it's one that's been solved. I'd like to build
my solution on top of that work rather than reinvent it.

A and B are not just arbitrary names:
  A is for ACT!, a contact manager that should be ODBC-accessible
  B is for BBDB, emacs' Big Brother Data Base

I know the DBD::ODBC module exists. (I'll have to come up to speed on
it. [1])

I'll have to build a DBD::application::emacs::BBDB interface, either
directly to its lisp-like textual file representation, or through the
behaviors coded in emacs' elisp as an API. Anyone done something
similar? Ideas? It's no small feat, I'd imagine. [2]

Thanks,
Michael Wolf

P.S. Have food, will barter....

[1] Anyone interested in trading a lunch or coffee for a JIT-training
on how to dig into an unknown ODBC interface?

[2] Anyone in trading dinner for a down-n-dirty co-development/design
session to architect or create this DBI module?

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!
        MichaelRunningWolf at att.net