SPUG:March Meeting: "Green Lightning Talks"

Tim Maher tim at consultix-inc.com
Tue Mar 11 19:28:56 CST 2003

SPUGsters,

I'd like to encourage all of you to consider speaking for
5 minutes or more on some Perlish topic you'd like to share
with the group next week.  Please contact me if you'd like
to get on the agenda.

| Tim Maher, Ph.D.            tim at timmaher.org        |
| JAWCAR ("Just Another White-Camel Award Recipient") |
| SPUG Founder & Leader       spug at seattleperl.org    |
| Seattle Perl Users Group    www.seattleperl.org     |

         March 2003 Seattle Perl Users Group Meeting

     Theme: "Green Lightning Festival"
  Speakers: Various SPUGsters

      Time: Wednesday, March 18, 2003 7-9pm
  Location: SAFECO bldg, Brooklyn St. and NE 45th St.

      Cost: Admission is free and open to the general public.
      Info: http://seattleperl.org/

This month, we'll feature several short talks by SPUG members,
ranging in duration from 5 to 20 minutes.  This is a good way
to get started in sharing your knowledge with other SPUGSsters,
and we still have open slots for additional speakers, so send
email if you want to participate.

Why Green Lighting?  SPUG was born on St. Patrick's day, 1998,
so please help us celebrate SPUG's 5th Birthday by wearing
GREEN at this month's meeting!

                 "Modules from the Spring Collection"

                       by Tim Maher, Consultix

Tim will give a demo of his new module, Shell::POSIX::Select
(see http://teachmeperl.com/Select.html), and give short talks
on other Perly things, some excerpted from past and future
conference presentations.

                          "Use vs. Require"

                   by Jay Scherrer,  Practical Tax

Jay's been writing a Perl program to implement the 1040 tax return,
which you can read about at his web site.  Along the way, he's learned
that it's better to use "require" when "use" is not required, and he'll
be sharing his knowledge of that subject in this short talk.

Pre- and Post- Meeting Activities
The pre-meeting dinner will be at the Cedars restaurant,
at 50th St. and Brooklyn, in the University District, near
the Safeco building where the meeting will take place. The
phone number is 527-5247. If you're planning to be there,
please RSVP to the list by 2pm on the meeting day with
your expected arrival time (5:30-5:45pm is recommended).

TO BE FAIR, from now on only those who comply with the
RSVP policy (and are therefore counted in the seating
reservation) will be allowed to sit at the speaker's table.