SPUG:Term::ReadKey on Windows 2000

David Innes (CSG) davidinnes at chicagoscience.com
Fri Mar 7 20:48:04 CST 2003

For my part I've heard that Perl runs on Unix but I've never gotten it to
work.  So I don't use Unix.  I agree 100% that Unix-centric and
compiler-dependent Perl modules are generally a crock (as would be Win, Mac,
or PDP-11-centric modules unless they were clearly labeled as incomplete,
inadequate, or otherwise portability-impared.  Anyway it seems silly to
ignore 300,000,000 or so Windows client boxes.)

Given all that I've always used the ActiveState distribution and for the
most part grab modules from their modified (and incomplete) repository.
This has its own set of annoyances but (since I'm going to work and not to
church) they've got class enough not to claim unbelievers are going to Hell
for not using Windows.

But I digress...

Years ago I deployed a WinNT/W2K script that used ReadKey and that part
worked fine.  (On the other hand to get the script to work I had to write my
own miserable hack of the sleep function because no one, in their infinite
wisdom, feels the need to write a portable version.  But again I digress.)

Anyway, TermReadKey.ppd is ActiveState's distribution hints file for the
Term::ReadKey module.  ReadKey.dll is part of that distribution.  Here's
what else gets installed, and in what folders.

H:\Perl\site\lib\auto\Term\ReadKey\ReadKey.bs
H:\Perl\site\lib\auto\Term\ReadKey\ReadKey.dll
H:\Perl\site\lib\auto\Term\ReadKey\ReadKey.exp
H:\Perl\site\lib\auto\Term\ReadKey\ReadKey.lib
H:\Perl\site\lib\Term\ReadKey.pm
H:\Perl\site\lib\auto\Term\ReadKey\autosplit.ix

As a mere Perl programmer and not a "real" programmer I have no idea how to
compile the thing from scratch.  (Note: I'm only rarely sorry I'm "only" a
Perl programmer.  Speaking of which, did you see Jon Udell's column on that
very thing in InfoWorld?
http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/02/06/06stratdev_1.html)

		-- David Innes