SPUG:Re: SPUG Aug mtg w/ CGI::Kwiki

Andrew Sweger andrew at sweger.net
Mon Jun 30 01:24:20 CDT 2003

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, William Julien wrote:

> For the record, I'm using netscape 4.8 on irix and netscape 4.7 on solaris
> and linux. I guess my point is that the use of stylesheets is a very
> system dependant choice.

Depends on the user population you're concerned with. Yes, some people
will be left in the cold. That's the price we pay for standards that
battle in a pseudo-commercial market on the Internet.

> I run a wiki. I use a patched versions of usemod called nu_wiki. See
> <http://http:catmanor.com>. The use of style sheets is very system
> dependant because of the fuzzy specs provided by 3c.org. It allowed
> a lot of "interpretation" by developers. It is a *bad* choice to imbed
> into a wiki.

Again (as in my earlier reply), Kwiki is very easily modified to avoid
stylesheets.

> So far, my impression of kwiwi is that is limited in capability and
> highly dependant on the client's browser. Drop all this stylesheet crap
> and all that goes away.

Kwiki is but a foundation to build on. It only appears limited if you
insist on running it stock. I think Kwiki will lead to a forest of very
creative plug-ins that will make it a very rich environment. The design
promotes simple extensibility where different plug-ins can work
side-by-side without having to dig through a tangle of code. Don't find
what you need? Whip up a plug-in. Can't? Ask, nicely.

Take a look under the hood and compare it to UseMod Wiki, Twiki, and
CGI::Wiki.

> By the way... What's the URL?

http://www.kwiki.org/

(If that's not what you're looking for, please specify for what URL you're
interested in.)

--
Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several
                                things can go wrong at once.