SPUG:YAPC Wiki Site

SPUG-list-owner tim at consultix-inc.com
Sun Jun 15 00:45:16 CDT 2003

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 10:03:58PM -0700, Andrew Sweger wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, SPUG-list-owner wrote:
>
> > Any ideas on how we could use a wiki for SPUGly purposes?
>
> Sure. But it only holds real value to the community if there is a body of
> knowledge related to SPUG that can be maintained by the community. So, I
> guess it's up to this community and its leader to decide what would go
> there.

I think a SPUG Wiki could be good for: ideas for future talks, ideas for
speakers to invite, mini reviews of recent talks, notices of
other groups' meetings and upcoming conferences, cheap hotels for
conferences (like my posts to the SPUG list for a $55 hotel for YAPC,
which would be better preserved for easy access ona Wiki), and so forth.

But my main impetus for trying this out is that I see the Wiki as a sort of
"transformational technology" (not sure who I'm quoting there), that
takes on a life of its own and ends up evolving to best serve whatever
purposes it best supports.  And a traditional web-page can't compete too
well in that area.

> The SeattlePerl website could become a Wiki, but how much of that is
> really in need of community stewardship? We have you! :)
> Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several

That's both good and bad 8-}  Given my personal bandwidth, I'm sometimes
more of a bottleneck than a conduit. 8-[

But I shudder to think of a Wiki as the sole presence for SPUG on
the 'net.  How long would it take for some renegade band of Python fanatics
to deface our site with beautifully indented Perlistic blasphemy,
and how many times a day would we have to scrape that kind of crap
off the site?

What's the Wiki track record in this area?  The lack of security, that
enables the bulletin board metaphor to work, concerns me.

-Tim
| Tim Maher (206) 781-UNIX  (866) DOC-PERL  (866) DOC-UNIX   |
| CEO, JAWCAR ("Just Another White Camel Award Recipient")   |
| tim(AT)Consultix-Inc.Com  TeachMeUnix.Com  TeachMePerl.Com |