[Fwd: Re: SPUG:s/ActiveState Perl/Cygwin Perl/ works for shebang lines]

Terry Nightingale tnight at pobox.com
Mon Jun 2 11:51:31 CDT 2003

Forgot to Cc: the list...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: SPUG:s/ActiveState Perl/Cygwin Perl/ works for shebang lines
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 09:50:42 -0700
From: Terry Nightingale <tnight at pobox.com>
To: Michael R. Wolf <MichaelRunningWolf at att.net>

Michael R. Wolf wrote:

> Michael R. Wolf <MichaelRunningWolf at att.net> writes:
>

>>I guess I'm sitting in the stupid gas, I can't see my way out from
>>here. I just want to run a perl script on ActiveState perl while in a
>>cygwin bash.
>

> I guess I got smart (or lucky). I installed Cygwin Perl. The following
> she-bang line now works from bash, from inside emacs, and especially
> inside the perldb within emacs.
>
> #! /usr/bin/perl -w
>

> The world is good, let the debugging begin!!!

That works, with one caveat:  the Perl at /usr/bin/perl is *not* your
ActiveState Perl, but the Perl built against Cygwin.  If you truly want
to invoke ActiveState Perl, use a she-bang like like this:

#!/cygdrive/x/Perl/bin/perl

Substitute 'x/Perl' with the drive and folder where you've installed
ActivePerl.  If you want access to complex modules like the DBI and
friends, I've found it's easier to use ActiveState's package manager
tool to download and install pre-built modules, rather than try to
figure out how to build them under Cygwin.

Cheers!

--
Terry Nightingale <tnight at pobox.com>
Web Developer, Philosopher, Geek