SPUG: Using HTML as GUI

Asim Jalis asim at pair.com
Fri Jul 25 14:19:04 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 11:52:12PM -0700, David Innes (CSG) wrote:

> > > Command line tools look awful on Windows
>
> Hmm.  I suppose the numbers you want to crunch are too
> proprietary and/or local for you to put the app on *your* web
> server and let users access that.

The problem is I don't want to waste cycles on my web server.
Also I don't want to require folks to be online.

The number crunching is an example. I am more interested in the
general solution of using IE as the Perl GUI.

> Since the DOS shell actually started out as, well, a shell,
> there are actually tons of full-screen text protocols you could
> probably play with to build something yourself.  (I just
> checked and a 13-year-old version of DOS Word still runs on my
> W2K box so all the old DOS screen hooks must still be lurking
> around.)
>
> On CPAN there's a module called PerlVision that's a collection
> of text-mode UI widgets.  I haven't tried it --  it was just
> the first thing I Googled up, but if it doesn't work for you
> there are probably other modules for directly addressing the
> screen in character mode.

Interesting. Actually, DOS does not look so bad on the pre-95
machines. But on Win95 and later the DOS shell looks awful. One
solution might be to just have a slightly nicer looking shell.
The ones I have seen are all proprietary. I'll take a look at
PerlVision.

Asim