SPUG: Using HTML as GUI

David Innes (CSG) davidinnes at chicagoscience.com
Fri Jul 25 01:52:12 CDT 2003

> > Command line tools look awful on Windows

Hmm.  I suppose the numbers you want to crunch are too proprietary and/or
local for you to put the app on *your* web server and let users access that.

Since the DOS shell actually started out as, well, a shell, there are
actually tons of full-screen text protocols you could probably play with to
build something yourself.  (I just checked and a 13-year-old version of DOS
Word still runs on my W2K box so all the old DOS screen hooks must still be
lurking around.)

On CPAN there's a module called PerlVision that's a collection of text-mode
UI widgets.  I haven't tried it --  it was just the first thing I Googled
up, but if it doesn't work for you there are probably other modules for
directly addressing the screen in character mode.

Good luck.
		-- David Innes