SPUG: Using HTML as GUI

Robert S yrob at mail.crpower.com
Thu Jul 24 23:41:13 CDT 2003

About a month ago, I thought of an idea of running a local script-server, as
opposed to a web server.  The idea behind it is sort of what you are
describing here.

What would make this so popular is that it would provide much more GUI
functionality and involvement to Linux.  Many GUI scripts would be designed
for regular users to run in order to do specific tasks, because non-scripters
usually will avoid many command line utilities.

Who would design these scripts?  PERL scripters, PHP scripters, and so on.
Why?  To promote the usage of Linux.  Why should a person write a script
instead of a compiled program?  Putting aside cross-platform issues, it's so
much faster and easier to write and tweak scripts.  The output would be in
HTML for the user load through their browser, and would use the script server
as a gateway to the script.

I think it should be written in C/C++.  Would anyone like to work on such a
project or know anyone that would like to?

Robert Seaborn
yrob at mail.crpower.com
http://www.crpower.com