SPUG: Using HTML as GUI

ced at carios2.ca.boeing.com ced at carios2.ca.boeing.com
Thu Jul 24 23:34:17 CDT 2003

> Here's the problem in this happy story. What if the machine does
> not have IIS? How do I run this as a localhost CGI script in that
> case? Are there tiny web servers that can be configured to just
> run a single (Perl) program? I want to keep the machine secure,
> and at the same time use a local web server as a cheap way to get
> a GUI.

> Any ideas? Also are there any issues I should be aware of that I
> am not thinking about?

Special purpose web servers can be written in just a few
lines of Perl. But, if you don't need one that small, you
might just try indigoperl - a free Win32 binary Apache distro
plus Perl itself:

http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm

The setup was as friendly as ActiveState's and was fully
cross-compatible with ActiveState's PPM packages.

A refreshing alternative to the torturous (IMO) IIS
configuration drill.

Rgds,
--
Charles DeRykus