SPUG: Re: Giving up on computer jobs

Bob Hiltner bob at hiltners.com
Tue Jul 22 22:24:06 CDT 2003

I was going to respond to Chris offline, but figure it's the same message
for any who're in similar straits...

It's discouraging these days, to be sure.  It's paramount to keep your
dreams alive and not "give up".  I don't know your talents, but if you do
web work and can set up a network, consider hanging out a shingle and doing
that for small businesses.  A lot of folks would like some inexpensive web
work, I'd think, and are probably scared shitless about hackers and doing it
themselves.  If you're willing to work hard and give your first few
customers an introductory break, I'll bet within a month you'd end up with
fuller pockets than hanging out at the mall and making change.  It doesn't
have to be a permanent thing, but you might get a reputation based on great
work and great value.

One fear you'll have to overcome with your charm and honesty is that you'll
move on and leave a business in the lurch.  Take extra pains to manage and
abate this risk for them.  Have a staff member liasion, for example, the
biggest power user who understands everything you're doing, even if they
couldn't do it themselves.

Mostly don't give up.  One thing you'll need to find *any* fair job is an
air of confidence and not a hint of desperation.

Also, if you do decide to do something outrageous like this, misery loves
company.  Maybe one or two others in the group with complementary
skills/business savvy would be interested in taking the leap with you and
making it happen.   Keep any group small and focused, driven and compatible.

Don't measure your worth or set your confidence bar based on  either the
1999 economy or this one.

Best of luck.
    -Bob