SPUG: SPUGwiki Needs Photos, etc.

SPUG-list-owner tim at consultix-inc.com
Tue Jul 22 14:59:49 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 12:38:04PM -0700, Ben Reser wrote:

> Yeah the problem is now everyone is doing the Wiki thing and saying "Hey
> come make a page here."  I already have a home page.  I barely have time
> to maintain it.  Why would I want to make another page that I won't have
> time to maintain?

You *don't need* to make a brand-new HomePage for the SPUGwiki!
Just make a link to your existing page from your BenReser page,
and if you're not too lazy 8-}, make a link to a picture of yourself
from there too.  Should take you about 23 seconds!

As an example, see Joel Grow's page, at
	http://spugwiki.perlocity.org/index.cgi?JoelG

> Frankly, I think the better thing to do is:
> a) Realize that the wiki is not the only way to participate.
> b) Accept that it is new and will take time to ramp up.
> c) Rather than encouraging people to post pictures of their dog fluffy,
> have them post useful and interesting things that relate to the
> group.  This will take longer to happen, but as people come up with
> things that are useful and interesting asking them to spend the time to
> post it on the wiki is likely to be far more fruitful than asking people
> to duplicate their personal home pages.

Again, it's easier than you originally thought to get your
SPUGwiki home-page going. And I don't care about seeing their
pets, I want to see photos of the SPUGsters themselves, so we can
identify each other at meetings, Costco, and Bumbershoot. It's a
community-building thing! 8-}

But there's no obligation for anybody to participate in any way on the
Wiki.  I'm just trying to gently encourage people to explore its
benefits  -- I'm not about to excommunicate anybody from SPUG for
declining to participate.

> Besides what can Londom.pm talk about?  They don't even have a wiki yet.
> At least I can't find any mention of it on their page.  ;)
>
> --
> Ben Reser <ben at reser.org>
> http://ben.reser.org

Yea, but they copy all our innovations eventually, so it's only a matter
of time! 8-{

-Tim
| Tim Maher (206) 781-UNIX  (866) DOC-PERL  (866) DOC-UNIX   |
| tim(AT)Consultix-Inc.Com  TeachMeUnix.Com  TeachMePerl.Com |