SPUG:Building presentations with TeX/LaTeX

Itay Furman itayf at fhcrc.org
Thu Jul 3 14:09:32 CDT 2003

Both one of the recent threads (on bundling images into PDF), and aspects
of the (lovely and funny) talk by Damian yesterday have touched the matter
of building visual presentation in an open-source environment.

I want to point out that the TeX/LaTeX document preparation system provides
facilities for building presentations. The various extensions allow for
inclusion/generation of graphical material, creation of PDF outputs
with almost all the goodies, and conversion to text/html/ps formats,
and many more...

It's free and -- most importantly for programmers -- it is potentially more
fun because you may think of  TeX and its extensions as PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES,
and the document source as a program that typesets your text. (And it
follows that the TeX program is your compiler.)

I hope I didn't waste any body's time on telling you things that you already
know! If not and there is demand I'd be happy to provide some more hints
and links.

Major entry point:
	http://www.tug.org
one example of a presentation package (with demonstrations):
	http://www.tug.org/applications/Seminar/index.html

	Itay

Itay Furman
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center		(206) 667-5921 (voice)
1100 Fairview Avenue N., Mailstop D4-100	(206) 667-2917 (fax)
P.O. Box 19024
Seattle, WA  98109-1024