SPUG:divergence-from-a-divergence [was: lots of thing]

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRunningWolf at att.net
Fri Jan 24 15:07:55 CST 2003

Brian Hatch <spug at ifokr.org> writes:

> [2] This thread being far diverged from perl, so I'm going
>     to shut up before Tim starts having stick riddle
>     flashbacks.

I agree.  This topic has diverged.  I'll bet that this
    $topic =~ m/divergence(-from-a-divergence){$nth_degree}/
is real close to burning out all by itself.

I notice that many threads are not *directly* centered on Perl.  I
think the post/no-post decision should take into consideration whether
it's useful to Perl Users as a group.  After all "Perl User" is SPUG's
middle name.  If we got formal, using only first/last name, "Seattle
Group" would be very uninteresting to most of us!!!

The shear volume of discussion on this topic (all within 3 days as
'~damian/bin' morphed to 'alias cd' morphed to 'helpful hints about
my-favorite-*sh') indicates interest, and is therefore, IMO, important
to group members.

And, I happen to enjoy these side discussions within the group.  I can
read a sterile Perl discussion in comp.lang.perl.* from my ISP, but,
at the risk of being melodramatic, the kind of community that's
generated by these types of discussions is why I settled in the
Northwest in general, and Seattle in particular.

Perl does not exist in a vacuum.  Consider how rich the content of
this list is, and how connected and related we are based on
discussions of some of these not-so-Perl-centric threads

  ~whoever/bin (for various definitions of "whoever")
  book publishers/editors
  coding style
  numerous interface problems (shell, Windows, Unix, system(), DB's
     (Oracle...) via DBI, browsers via CGI)
  design practices
  algorithms (sometimes posed as puzzles or quiz of the week)

I think some freedom is important in selection of group content.  I'm
happy with the depth/breadth of the discussion.  And because I know
how to use my 'D' key, I can stop reading a thread when I've had

I love this group!

Michael Wolf

Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!