SPUG:Content Management software: opinions?

Alan alan at ufies.org
Wed Jan 22 11:01:56 CST 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 05:44:34AM -0800, Aaron Salo wrote:
> I have yet to exploit the full potential of Bricolage
>
> http://www.bricolage.cc
[snip]

Depending on the size of your project, that seems a bit over the top :)
I suppose it depends on your users as well.  A geek could handle a
product like that relatively easily, but I doubt that your average "I
just want to edit my own web pages" type person could.

> I am intrigued by some of the blogging products too. They handle the gist
> of many CMS needs, that being easy web-based interfaces to add content to a
> web site. Most customers that OMG I HAVE TO HAVE A CMS really mean hey,
> every once in a while I want to add a news article, a press release, a job
> vacancy, or an upcoming event to my calendar.

Yup, exactly.  I have a friend who users movabletype
(www.movabletype.org) for his online magazine (www.nasty.cx), which
despite the domain name, is safe for work :)

For a contract a few months ago I was contracted to solve the problem of
"we want to update things now and then", and ended up rolling my own
mod_perl+mysql solution.  It works pretty well IMHO, handles menus,
image and file uploads, user authentication, etc.  It's a completely
custom solution though, built for the specs of those users.  Depending
on who/what you are looking for this for, this might be a solution, and
fun coding at the same time :)

Regards,

Alan

--