SPUG:Mentoring project

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRunningWolf at att.net
Tue Feb 18 01:07:28 CST 2003

There are apprentices and masters in a metal forge.  Mentoring is
built into the system of mastering the metalworking trade.

Such formal mentoring arrangements are not built into a "source
forge".  There are not such explicit mechanisms for mastering the
codeworking trade nor for masters to exchange their craft.

BUT we could create these mechanisms by setting up a mentoring
system....

There are benefits to both sides in a mentoring relationship.  I won't
list them here because they will vary among individuals, but I ask you
to consider if having a mentor or being a mentor would be of value to
you.

And if it is, let me know.  I'll pair folks up who'd like to work
together, then leave it up to them to work out the details.

It could be simple moral support, or intermediate level phone and
email contact.  It could be as elaborate as setting up a training
regime.

For a project.  For a week.  For life.  Whatever.

I'll have the town crier announce this mentoring program at the
upcoming SPUG "Beginner Night" meeting.

If you're a     beginner and you'd like       a mentor, show up.
If you're a non-beginner and you'd like       a mentor, show up.
If you're a non-beginner and you'd like to be a mentor, show up.

Even if you don't show up, let me know if you'd like to participate.

Thanks,
Michael Wolf

P.S.  I had considered calling this a "Big Geeky Brother" and "Big
Geeky Sister" program, but figured I'd have trademark issues.  Mentor
and apprentice have such a nobler ring to them, don't you think?

P.P.S.  I had considered creating a mentoring program for university,
community college, or high school techies as a way to foster more
interest in the waning field of computer science, but having a SPUG
"Beginner Night" was just too fortuitous to pass up.  Keep these other
outlets in mind as a future complement to the internal program.

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!
        MichaelRunningWolf at att.net