SPUG: Re: IRC

Chris Nandor pudge at pobox.com
Tue Dec 23 14:14:02 CST 2003

At 12:00 -0600 2003.12.22, spug-list-request at mail.pm.org wrote:
>Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:59:52 -0800
>From: "Michael R. Wolf" <MichaelRWolf at att.net>
>Subject: SPUG: IRC
>

>I'd heard about a Perl IRC channel. Is it still around? Is it useful?
>For what definition of "useful"?

Yes, it depends on what you are looking for.  And there are several.
There's one in irc.rhizomatic.net, which also houses a #p5p and #parrot,
but is as much for non-Perl talk as it is for Perl talk.

The Perl talk it does have is mostly of an intermediate-to-advanced nature.
It migrated to that network from the EFNet #perl (which I believe still
exists), because it was constantly filled with "newbies" asking about how
to "do CGI."

I think there is also still a #perl on OPN/freenode.

When most people who have been around the "Perl community" (esp. those
sub-communities that have grown out of p5p and the two conferences,
TPC/YAPC::NA) for a long time, they are speaking of the rhizomatic Perl
channel.  And while there's a lot of non-Perl talk there, the general rule
of thumb is that you get out of it what you put into it.

HTH,

--
Chris Nandor                      pudge at pobox.com    http://pudge.net/
Open Source Development Network    pudge at osdn.com     http://osdn.com/