SPUG: C is a scripting language???

Brian Hatch bri at ifokr.org
Sun Dec 7 15:39:30 CST 2003

> The following alerg made me wonder/snicker....
>     ... Many sites use Perl as their scripting language, but our
>     company chose C because we felt it was more flexible in the long
>     term. ... <http://webdesign.about.com/library/weekly/aa040698.htm>

If you read the rest of the page, you'll see that this person
is very enlightened and believes in programming for multiple
browsers.  She has netscape 1.0 => 4.04 and IE 3 and 4!
Very up to date!

Perhaps this was written a while back...

> If you have to be stuck in a gear, first gear is the one to choose,
> but who needs to write CGI in C? Perl is written in C. That's good
> enough for me. So much for rapid.

My first CGIs were all in C.  I wrote some great stuff in it,
including huge dynamic, authenticated, threaded message board
sites back in 1995.

Then again, I can write those same CGIs now in 60 lines of

Brian Hatch                  "We only ordered one at the store,
   Systems and                but we got two anyway."
   Security Engineer         "Yeah, they've got some good deals..."
http://www.ifokr.org/bri/    -- Bri and JJester, discussing twins.

Every message PGP signed