SPUG: assigning to $0; different Linuces

Ben Reser ben at reser.org
Thu Aug 28 20:21:49 CDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 06:03:20PM -0700, Jeremy G Kahn wrote:
> Has anybody else discovered that the ability to assign with $0 varies
> across even Linux versions?

[snip]

> This is really irritating, since the assign-to-$0 is a nice feature,
> when you're doing lots of fork-ing and exec-ing.  Does anybody know how
> one would check that a system can do this from within a script? Or a
> configuration variable in Linux that somebody might be able to tune?

IIRC there are two different procps distributions.  Likely the
difference is that Debian is using a different one than RedHat.

You might also compare the content of the various "files" in /proc/$$/
Where $$ = your pid

--
Ben Reser <ben at reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"What upsets me is not that you lied to me, but that from now on I can
no longer believe you." -- Nietzsche