SPUG: RE: Giving up on computer jobs & usefulness of placement firms

John Subaykan cansubaykan at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 13 12:20:32 CDT 2003

I hate to be a spelling fascist but...

>From: "North, Walter" <wnorth at state.mt.us>
>To: "'spug-list at mail.pm.org'" <spug-list at mail.pm.org>
>

>Bad spelling is unacceptable..
>Bad grammer is a fact of life in a one page resume, just as in
>email.  As long as it isn't too bad. (how that for bad grammer).

s/grammer/grammar/g;  # sorry :)

I agree, spelling is very important in resumes since this is your first
introduction to the person reviewing resumes.  I have dictionary.com on my
list of bookmarks, I don't trust spellcheckers.

Bad grammar on resumes is a given, since using complete sentences is not
good resume style.  But even within the restrictions of incomplete
sentences, there are some grammar mistakes.

You wouldn't say "I was designing database applications"; you might say
"Designed database applications."  You would not want to say "Did design
database applications".  You especially wouldn't want to say "Done did
database applications."

In email conversations between techies, I don't see the reason to be enraged
if people don't use publishing quality English - except for things like 'u'
and '4' instead of 'you' and 'for'; but I've never seen this on SPUG.