SPUG: Giving up on computer jobs & usefulness of placement firms

Andrew Sweger andrew at sweger.net
Tue Aug 12 23:17:49 CDT 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Jonathan Gardner wrote:

> First, when we write English, we use the SHIFT key to capitalize letters.
> That's because we are writing email and not chatting on IRC. This may be a
> reason you aren't finding a job. You look like a script kiddie in your email.
> Hopefully, you don't sound like one on the phone.

Dud, what about thos popl that don't hav a shift ky? Or the lttr ''
(dammit)?

Seriously now. The Seattle Perl Users Group (the mail list specifically)
has grown well beyond the boundaries of the city of Seattle and Puget
Sound. I think this extends beyond geography and language to include
"people of alternate writing styles". We welcome all comers here. If we
don't understand what they're saying, we'll ask for clarification or, if
necessary, ignore them.

Your point is well taken with respect to finding job. But that's no reason
to cut a person down.

In Ashok's case, look over his postings to this list. Aside from the
conspicuous lack of capital letters and occasional double double words,
the writing is very readable. I'll bet more people have trouble reading
the convoluted crap I write than Ashok's writing.

So let's cut each other some slack.

(Okay, I realize I'm being two-faced. I'm the jerk who flames people for
using fancy words. But that was supposed to be friendly jabbing.)

--
Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several
                                things can go wrong at once.