SPUG:April Mtg: Perl for UNIX Users and Programmers

SPUG-list-owner tim at consultix-inc.com
Tue Apr 15 15:04:24 CDT 2003

SPUGsters,

Please let us know by 3pm 4/15 (by posting to the list) if
you'd like a seat reserved for you at Cedar's before
tonight's meeting.

See you there!

| Tim Maher, Ph.D.            tim at timmaher.org        |
| JAWCAR ("Just Another White-Camel Award Recipient") |
| SPUG Founder & Leader       spug at seattleperl.org    |
| Seattle Perl Users Group    www.seattleperl.org     |

         April 2003 Seattle Perl Users Group Meeting

     Theme: "Perl for UNIX Users"
   Speaker: Tim Maher, Consultix

      Time: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 7-9pm
  Location: SAFECO bldg, Brooklyn St. and NE 45th St.

      Cost: Admission is free and open to the general public.
      Info: http://seattleperl.org/

Tim is writing_a_book for Manning_Publications called "Minimal Perl
for Shell Users and Programmers". Unlike other Perl books, this one
will give the reader advanced standing for existing knowledge of UNIX
shell commands and shell programming techniques, and capitalize on
that to make Perl easier to learn.

In this talk, Tim will feature excerpts from the upcoming book, and
his associated conference presentations at Linux_Fest_Northwest, YAPC::
America::North, and The Perl Conference.

He looks forward to receiving sage feedback from SPUGsters on what
works and doesn't in these presentations!

Topics will include:
 * the Five Perl One-liners all UNIX users should know
 * three Perl scripts UNIX users shouldn't live without
 * simple Perl scripts that improve on sed, grep, and awk
 * how the Shell's looping facilities compare to those of Perl,
including
       o why the Shell's "while" loop is superior to its Perl
counterpart
       o why Perl's "do/while" sucks
       o when to use the implicit (-n) loop, and when to roll your own
       o where you can use "goto" without shame
       o which Shell loop is missing from standard Perl, and how to
use it
        anyway

Pre- and Post- Meeting Activities
---------------------------------
The pre-meeting dinner will be at the Cedars restaurant,
at 50th St. and Brooklyn, in the University District, near
the Safeco building where the meeting will take place. The
phone number is 527-5247. If you're planning to be there,
please RSVP to the list by 2pm on the meeting day with
your expected arrival time (5:30-5:45pm is recommended).

TO BE FAIR, from now on only those who comply with the
RSVP policy (and are therefore counted in the seating
reservation) will be allowed to sit at the speaker's table.

-Tim