SPUG:WMD as I see it

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRunningWolf at att.net
Thu Apr 10 21:28:14 CDT 2003

SPUG-list-owner <tim at consultix-inc.com> writes:

[...]

> My advice is to resist the temptation to change
> 	print substr $_, 0, 20;
> into
> 	print substr $_, 0, 20,"\n";
> My advice is to resist the temptation to change
> 	print substr $_, 0, 20;
> into
> 	print substr $_, 0, 20,"\n";
>
> In fact, I advise newbies as a general rule to always add the "\n"
> with a separate call to print(), or by using the -l invocation option;
> this approach skirts lots of parenthesis-related issues.

Funny, I guess I'd have done it the other way... advise the use of
()'s to avoid operator precedence issues.  What's your rationale?
With ()'s there's no need to mention precedence.

*My* advice would be to _submit_to_the_temptation_ to change
	print(substr($_, 0, 20));
into
	print(substr($_, 0, 20), "\n");

Since you're protected by the paren's, you can build as complex as you
wish without bumping into an unknown.

[...]

> Anyway, to get back to the Asim's Saddamical theme:
>
> 	$_="Saddam prevents Iraqi freedom!";
> 	print "$_\n";
> 	$save=sprintf substr $_, 0, 16, "\n";	# store first chars of string
> 	print "\U$_\n";
>
> Output:
> 	Saddam prevents Iraqi freedom!
>
> 	IRAQI FREEDOM!

$justification =
   eval {require "compelling U.S. interest"}
or eval {require "brain"}
or eval {require "conscience"}
or eval {require "historical perspective"}
or "Continue any way with heightened sense of national insecurity...";

$WMD = "Weapon of Mass Deception";

$subterfuge = "Operation Iraqi Liberation";
@credible_allied_forces = ();
$acromony_nym = join "@credible_allied_forces", $subterfuge =~ m/\b(.)/g;
if ($acromony_nym eq "O I L") {
    ($boldface_lie = $subterfuge) =~ s/Liberation/Freedom/;
}
print "$WMD => $boldface_lie";

> I hereby offer this example of a WMD (Weapon of Mass Destruction)
> as a WMI (Weapon of Mass Instruction).

Now you see how I interpret the most dangerous WMD.

Weapon of Mass Deception => Operation Iraqi Freedom

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!
        MichaelRunningWolf at att.net