SPUG: UNIX to MS ACCESS interface

Richard Wood wildwood_players at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 12 10:45:24 CDT 2002

Woo Hoo!

I am very happy to close this thread.  I have a
successful interface running between my AIX (unix) box
and my win2000 ACCESS db.  I just needed to adjust the
mask in the proxy.config file so that access would be
allowed from my unix box and I was in business.

Thanks again to Jeremy for the help.

Regards,

Rich Wood

--- Richard Wood <wildwood_players at yahoo.com>
wrote:
> I am very nearly successful.  I have dbish
running
> on
> Win2000 and now I am testing the connection from
> unix.
>  Currently getting a connection failure:

DBI->connect(hostname=E271619.nw.nos.company.com;port=1522;dsn=dbi:ODBC:MasterSchedule)
> failed: Cannot log in to DBI::ProxyServer: Error
> while
> reading socket: A connection with a remote socket
> was
> reset by that socket. at
> /home/richwood/perl/RPC/PlServer/Comm.pm line
110.
>  at MasterSchedule.pl line 16
>
> but that will have to wait until Thursday.
>
> Thanks for the direction!
>
> Rich
>
> --- Richard Wood
<wildwood_players at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Jeremy,
> >
> > Glad to hear that you have been successful.
> Perhaps
> > have gotten myself confused with all of the
> reading
> > that I have been doing on the subject and
the part
> > time attention that I have been giving this
> effort.
> > will follow the direction on the site you
have

<jeremycalvert2000 at yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > By following the instructions at
> > >
> http://www.awilcox.com/geek_stuff/perl/proxy.html
> > > I've been able to access data in an MS
Access
> > > database on a WinNT box from perl DBI
running on
> > > Solaris.  It uses ODBC and DBI::Proxy
on the NT
> > box,
> > > but there's no need for Unix ODBC.
> > > Does this answer your question?
> > > Jeremy
> > >  Richard Wood wrote:SPUG'sters,
> > >
> > > I need to develop an interface between
a unix
> box
> > > (AIX
> > > 4.3.3.0) and MS Project. I figure the
easiest
> way
> > > do this is by saving the Project as an
MS ACCESS
> > > database then using ODBC for the
interface. I
> have
> > > been working at this off and on for
several days
> > and
> > > my current direction is to use
DBI::Proxy and
> > > unixODBC
> > > (http://www.unixodbc.org/) to
facilitate the
> > > interface.
> > >
> > > First I will state my question, then
give the
> > > history:
> > >
> > > Has anyone successfully created an
interface
> from
> > > unix system to MS Access running on NT
or 2000?
> If
> > > so,
> > > how?
> > >
> > > While trying to install unixODBC, I was
informed
> > > that
> > > I needed to install QT: "The GUI
components
> > > (ODBCConfig and DataManager) require Qt
2.2."

(http://www.trolltech.com/developer/download/qt-x11.html)

> > > While trying to build QT, I had
troubles with a
> > > module
> > > named qlist.cpp. I seemed to have
eliminated
> those
> > > problems by turning off the
optimization flags
> > > (removed xlC flags: -qstrict -03) But
now I am
> > stuck
> > > with unresolved symbols:
> > >
> > > ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol:
> > > .PrintOut::Box::operator==(const
PrintOut::Box&)
> > > const
> > >
> > > So, does anyone have any ideas on how I
could
> > > proceed?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Rich Wood
> > >
> > > =====
> > > Richard O. Wood
> > > Wildwood IT Consultants, Inc.
> > > wildwood_players at yahoo.com
> > > 425.281.1914 mobile
> > > 206.544.9885 desk

> > > Yahoo! - We Remember
> > > 9-11: A tribute to the more than 3,000
lives
> lost
> > > http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute

> EMAIL
> > by
> > > your Email-address
> > > For daily traffic, use spug-list for
LIST ; for
> > > weekly, spug-list-digest
> > > Seattle Perl Users Group (SPUG) Home
Page:
> > > http://seattleperl.org
> > >

> > > ---------------------------------
> > > Yahoo! - We Remember
> > > 9-11: A tribute to the more than 3,000
lives
> lost
> >

> > =====
> > Richard O. Wood
> > Wildwood IT Consultants, Inc.
> > wildwood_players at yahoo.com
> > 425.281.1914 mobile
> > 206.544.9885 desk

> > Yahoo! - We Remember
> > 9-11: A tribute to the more than 3,000 lives
lost
> > http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute

> EMAIL
> > by your Email-address
> >  For daily traffic, use spug-list for LIST ;
 for
> > weekly, spug-list-digest
> >      Seattle Perl Users Group (SPUG) Home
Page:
> > http://seattleperl.org
> >

> =====
> Richard O. Wood
> Wildwood IT Consultants, Inc.
> wildwood_players at yahoo.com
> 425.281.1914 mobile
> 206.544.9885 desk

> Yahoo! - We Remember
> 9-11: A tribute to the more than 3,000 lives lost
> http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute

EMAIL
> by your Email-address
>  For daily traffic, use spug-list for LIST ;  for
> weekly, spug-list-digest
>      Seattle Perl Users Group (SPUG) Home Page:
> http://seattleperl.org

=== message truncated ===

=====
wildwood_players at yahoo.com