SPUG: Cheap, Rough, Training on Hashes!

Tim Maher tim at consultix-inc.com
Tue Nov 19 19:53:01 CST 2002

SPUGsters,

Here's a limited time offer some of you might find attractive!

-Tim
P.S. I'm feeling a bit under the weather, so you'll have to enjoy the
Ingster tonight without me 8-{
*----------------------------------------------------------------------------*
| Tim Maher, CEO, CONSULTIX  (206) 781-UNIX; (866) DOC-PERL; (866) DOC-LINUX |
|  Ph.D. & JAWCAR ("Just Another White Camel Award Recipient")               |
|  tim at consultix-inc.com  teachmeunix.com  teachmeperl.com  teachmelinux.net |
| - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  |
| CLASSES: Hashes and Arrays in Perl: 12/5;   Minimal Perl Programming: 12/6 |
*----------------------------------------------------------------------------*

Subject:  NEW CLASS: Perl Hashes and Arrays

Perl's "hash" data structure is one of the most useful features of the
language, but most Perl programmers don't know much beyond the basics.
And that's unfortunate because learning how to effectively use hash
slices, multidimensional hashes, the "exists" operator, and advanced
techniques for initializing hashes can make you a more productive
programmer.

Similarly, learning about the special Perl operators for arrays, including
push, pop, and splice, can also improve your programming.

In this special one-day hands-on class, we'll talk about these language
features, and see how they are typically used in real programs.

Special "Prototype" Class on Dec. 5th
-------------------------------------
Tim Maher will be testing out some material for a new class on December
5th, at the La Quinta Inn in Kirkland.  Programmers who have already
taken our 3 or 4-day Perl Programming course, or who have equivalent
experience, are invited to register.

The level of the course will be Intermediate. The goal is to show cool
things that can be done with hashes and arrays, without getting mired
in the complexities of complex data structures and dereferencing (which
we'll avoid where possible).

The language features that will be covered are expected to include push(),
pop(), shift,() unshift(), splice(), exists(), delete(), keys(), values(),
each(), tie(), slices, autovivification, data persistence, and various
pertinent modules.

Sample programming examples may include: finding unique elements in a
list, calculating word frequencies from web pages, initializing arrays
from pattern matches, picking a random element from an array, showing
elements common to two arrays, splicing one list into another, imposing
constraints on hash keys, using hashes for "unique-ification", handling
subroutine arguments in hash-init format, etc.

The special price for this Hands-On class, which includes pre-printed
course notes and refreshments, is $100 (and some students in previous
classes have gotten their money back in donuts!)

This is a great opportunity to get gain some useful Perl knowledge at
a very economical price, and seating is limited, so sign up soon.

WARNING: This being a "trial run", the educational experience is not
likely to be as polished or satisfying as usual!  Hence the steep
discount.  But we'll do our best to make it worth your while.

        SCHEDULE OF CONSULTIX PUBLIC CLASSES, in Kirkland WA
     Courses by Dr. Tim Maher:
                 TITLE                     DATES    Days
          Hashes & Arrays                  12/05      1
          Minimal Perl                     12/06      1

                    CONSULTIX ON-LINE RESOURCES
General Information:
        http://www.consultix-inc.com

On-Site Training: