SPUG: API access

Marc M. Adkins Marc.M.Adkins at Doorways.org
Fri May 10 13:35:55 CDT 2002

I've had really good luck using OLE to control objects under Windows.  Use
the ActiveState Win32::OLE Type Library Browser (look in the documentation
tree under ActivePerl Components / Windows Specifics / Browser) to see if
your API appears and check out the Win32::OLE module.

The other option would be to create an .xs module to connect via C.  This is
more work and you have to learn how to do it first.  Works OK, though, and I
created my first one in less than a day from knowing nothing.

Marc M. Adkins
  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-spug-list at pm.org [mailto:owner-spug-list at pm.org]On Behalf Of
Martin Korb
  Sent: Friday, May 10, 2002 7:02 AM
  To: spug-list at pm.org
  Subject: SPUG: API access

  I have a search Engine whose api I can access through a com object using C
or vb. Is there a way to do this also with Perl?
  Here is the specifics how to access the api through C or vb.
  The Server object provides access to all of the other objects that the
Search engine creates. To use the Search engine, first create a Server
object, then use the NewIndexJob, NewSearchJob, and NewOptions methods to
access the indexing and searching capabilities of the engine.
  Thanks Martin