SPUG: backticks, system, and ImageMagick

Tim Maher tim at consultix-inc.com
Sun Mar 17 18:15:33 CST 2002

(Forwarded after removal of spam-triggers)

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 12:14:57PM -0800, Richard Wood wrote:
> I am a unix kind of guy trying to function in a win98
> situation.
> I am having a problem with backticks and I am looking
> for new ideas on what it could be.
> I am running in a MSDOS window trying to execute some
> ImageMagick commands from perl.  The path to the
> ImageMagick bin directory in included in my PATH
> environment variable.  I can issue all of the
> ImageMagick commands from the command line (mogrify,
> identify, composite, and montage and they all return
> the usage for the command.  When I write a very simple
> script such as:

Another approach to using ImageMagick tools from within Perl
programs is to use the Image::Magick module.  This provides a
nice, object oriented interface to all of the functionallity
of the ImageMagick library.  Error conditions are available
via return values of method calls instead of STDERR capturing

For more info, see:

The installation section claims that you can install it on Win95, though
I only have experience using it on Linux and Solaris systems. I seem to
remember that installing it wasn't quite as straight forward as most
modules, but don't recall the exact trouble. I think that it was getting
a compatible version of the ImageMagick library installed.

Have fun,

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org