SPUG: unpack

Tim Maher tim at consultix-inc.com
Sun Mar 17 10:17:13 CST 2002

SPUGsters,

pack() and unpack() are perhaps among the most generally useful,
but inscrutable, of the Perl builtin functions.  Many people should
probably be using them where they aren't, but don't because of the
cryptic interface, shortage of examples, and skimpy documentation.

Sounds like an ideal topic for discussion at an upcoming SPUG meeting!
Those interested in Volunteering, please get in touch with me.

Also, those of you who have interesting examples of using pack() or
unpack(), please post them to the list along with an explanation of
what they do, so we can gain a better understanding of these functions.

-Tim

P.S. Upcoming Meetings:

  3/19: Colin Meyer on "Relational Databases and XML"
        * A free copy of Colin's "Database Programming with Perl"
        training manual will be given away (http://teachmeperl.net/dbi.html)
  4/16: Open
  5/21: Open
  6/18: Open