SPUG: new member (and learner) w/ ONE quick syntax question

Creede Lambard creede at penguinsinthenight.com
Mon Jun 24 14:50:47 CDT 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Baker, Stephen M wrote:

> 	when using the ternary operator ?, is the syntax:
>
> 	expression ? if_true : if_false;
>
> 	possible to modify so that if_true or if_false are compound
> expressions??

You can if you do it like this:

    my $x = $expression ? true_sub() : false_sub();

    sub true_sub {
        . . . do stuff . . . .
    }

    sub false_sub {
        . . . do stuff . . .
    }

$x will contain the return value of whichever subroutine runs, which value
$you may or may not care about.

--
` / V \  . Creede Lambard                :  There are no walls or borders;

Perl Programmer and Linux Sysadmin, reasonable rates. Inquire within.

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org